Dipartimento di Informatica
Università degli Studi di Milano
Via Celoria 18, Milano, Italy
Phone: +39 02 50316307
Associate professor at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Milan, I hold a PhD in Computer Science from EPFL, Switzerland. Prior to joining academia, I worked for several years in applied research and research management in public and private organizations, also playing a leading role in European research projects on data modeling and description logics (Adkms, Itacha1, Business Class, Aims). I was also co-founder of a start-up working on spatial data management for road data collection and organization in civil engineering applications. My current research focuses on spatial and mobile computing. I was principal investigator for Unimi in the European project FP7 FET Mobility, Data Mining e Privacy, national co-representative in the European network Cost Move, currently principal investigator for Unimi in the national research project funded by the Italian government: Next-generation Ultra-wideband Localization and Communication for the Internet of Things (PRIN2017_NG-UWB). I am a member of the editorial board for the journals ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems, IEEE Transactions on Secure and Dependable Systems, and Springer GeoInformatica. I've co-organized several workshops, including the ACM Springl workshop series over four years, IEEE Prismo, ACM MobileGIS over two years, and recenty, ACM Hanimob. Currently I serve as member of the Executive Committee in ACM SIGSPATIAL, the ACM Special Interest Group on Spatial Information.
- Mobility patterns analysis: spatial and symbolic trajectory segmentation, clustering, evaluation metrics, learning
- Semantic and symbolic trajectory data representation and modeling
- Location-centric privacy and access control, e.g. the GEO-RBAC access control model, the PROBE location privacy preserving framework
- Applications in domains: telcommunication data analysis, animal ecology, museums, geology
A few recent publications
- IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2022). Fine-grained stop detection in UWB-based trajectories. F. Hachem, D. Vecchia, M.L. Damiani, G.P. Picco. Accepted.
- ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems (2021). On Location Relevance and Diversity in Human Mobility Data. M.L. Damiani, F. Hachem. C. Quadri, M. Rossini, S. Gaito. ( pdf)
- Chapter in: Handbook of Big GeospatialData, Springer. Semantic trajectories data models (2021). M.L. Damiani. ( pdf)
- ACM Sigspatial (2020). Learning Behavioral Representations of Human Mobility. M.L. Damiani, A. Acquaviva, F. Hachem, M. Rossini ( pdf). Conference talk by Andrea: https://youtu.be/WYoSWpt6LiE
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (2018), Springer. Cluster-based trajectory segmentation with local noise. M.L. Damiani, F. Hachem, H. Issa, N. Ranc, P. Moorcroft, F. Cagnacci( pdf)
- Computers & Security (2018), Elsevier. A context-aware system to secure enterprise content: Incorporating reliability specifiers. O. Oluwatimi, M. L. Damiani, E. Bertino